Sunday, May 10, 2009

Thoughs of yesterday

Mother's Day is this coming Sunday. I was in the kitchen doing something... ?? The thoughts of my Granny came to mind. She was always like a second mother to me while growing up. I married a military man when I was 19 years old. I was an only child. I was gone away from family for 9 years. When my husband was sent to Okinawa I returned home to stay for 18 months. My Granny lived behind me on the other block. Soon her and my step-grandfather moved to a near by town 7 miles away. It wasn't long until my Granny started getting sick. She had pain in her left side. In my mind I always thought that when she had a fall on her back porch and hurt her left side... that is what caused it. She changed doctors. He talked her into having surgery. After the surgery the doctor gave her 6 weeks to 6 months to live. She had cancer of the pancreas and colon. She was a very strong lady so therefore it took her longer to die. :( She passed away the day before my birthday.

Friday as I was standing in the kitchen thoughts of my Granny came to mind. She was 68 years old when she passed away. That is only about 3 years older than I am now. So young! I remember thinking how old my Granny looked. She had the silver blue hair and was over weight. Needed to loose about 50 pounds at the most. She was a loving person and would feed anyone. When my step-grandfather lost his job she took in little old ladies to take care of. One little lady would have died if my Granny would not have taken care of her. She took such good care of them. She would wash their hair, fix it, and even give them a permanent. Thinking of her... I am thinking... did she feel as young as I feel?? I am sure that she did. She just acted different than I do. lol

It was very hard on my mother loosing her mother. Three months later her brother got killed in a car accident. Oh... how it hurt my mother!

No comments: