Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Jealousy

Years ago the Lord taught me a lesson about being jealous of something that someone else has. I was in the 4Th grade and knew better!! The Lord taught me that by being jealous of others we not only betray our self but also hurt the other person. Most of all I feel like we harm ourselves if we let something like that fester.

I got an allowance every week by doing chores. We lived on a farm. I got .25 cents a week. I always saved my money. I would only spend a little at a time. My Grandpa Henry said I was the only smart one. haha!

My best and only friend was the little girl, Louise, who lived across the pasture from us. She was 3 years younger than I. She was in the first grade and was sooo excited about school and all of her school supplies. She had a little 6 inch ruler that was turquoise. I loved that color when I was little. It was not so much the color or the idea that I could not buy a ruler like hers... it was being jealous over how happy she was. I could have bought 10 rulers like that for 5 or 10 cents!!

While she was outside playing I went into the one room school house and took her ruler!! I hid the ruler inside my desk. When class started she realized that her ruler was gone! She was almost in tears and told me that someone had taken her ruler!! I of course thought that was terrible. When we had another recess I ran back into the school and put the ruler back in her desk as fast as I could. I can still remember how relieved I felt. When we returned from recess she told me that someone had put her ruler back into her desk. I felt so ashamed for what I had done.

I remember later when I was 12 being in the dime store and seeing a girl get caught stealing something. She was crying. The store manager said they were going to call her parents. That also taught me a lesson later in life.

Sometimes we feel like things that we do is not stealing. I should have known better on this one too!! I lived in San Antonio, Texas and there was a store that had a grand opening. My friend and I went. It was sooo crowded! They were selling shorts and blouse sets. I found the shorts that I liked, but did not like the blouse that went with it. I found another blouse that I liked better. :) They were the same price and I didn't feel like it was stealing. Hmmm So I changed blouses!! The first time that I washed that blouse... it fell all to pieces!! My thought.. well that is what I get for being dishonest. Thank You Lord.

No comments: